The Palace in Czerwonka is a classicist palace located in Czerwonka, a district of Sochaczew. Originally erected by the Błeszyński family, most likely designed by Hilary Szpilowski, from 1855 it was owned by the Garbolewski family. Since 1973, it has been the seat of the State Primary and Secondary Music School. Fryderyk Chopin in Sochaczew.
The construction of the palace was funded by the Błeszyński family around 1800. Most likely, the author of the project was the architect Hilary Szpilowski, the designer of many classicist palaces of the Congress Kingdom at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. In the years 1817-1823, the next owner of the property was Jan Nepomucen Toczyski, the marshal of the Błonie district, and in the years 1823-1843, Augustyn Radwan, the commander of the line infantry regiment of the Grand Duke Michał. After the general’s death, his wife married Stanisław Rychłowski and he became the next owner of the property. In 1855, the estate was bought by Kazimierz Aleksander Garbolewski and his wife Marianna née Cotin. Around 1870, a small annex was erected on the south side, which extended the front façade by two additional windows. The last pre-war owner of the estate was Włodzimierz Ignacy Garbolewski.
During World War II, Czerwonka was occupied by the Germans. Dr. Hans Scheu, who was the starost of Sochaczew, lived in the palace. In 1943, the interiors were transformed, which deprived the manor of the equipment and layout of the rooms from the times of the Garbolewskis. In 1944, the palace became the seat of the authorities of the Warsaw district. The palace was the residence of General Erich von dem Bach, who commanded the actions of the German army against the insurgent Warsaw from here. In 1945, the property was parceled out and the heiress, Halina Garbolewska, was forced to leave by the communist authorities.
In 1946, the estate was incorporated into the borders of Sochaczew. In the years 1945–1973, the manor and the surrounding park were used by the Directorate of the Technical School of Horticulture in Sochaczew. In 1973, the Sochaczew City Hall allocated the manor as the seat of the State Music School, which is located here to this day. In the years 1984–1985, responding to the growing needs of the school, an elongated ground-floor connector was added from the south-eastern side, ending with a spacious, two-story concert hall.
The palace building is surrounded by the remains of a landscape park established in the mid-19th century. XIX century, currently bearing the name of Ignacy Włodzimierz Garbolewski, the last owner of the estate. The park has an area of 3 hectares, in the southern part there is a water reservoir, and the palace is entered in the register of monuments (registration no.: 324/62 of February 1, 1962 and 33 of June 20, 1981). In 2018, the park has undergone a thorough revitalization. The historical course of the alleys and a round, decorative flowerbed have been reconstructed. An outdoor stage was created, built on the site of the former manor outbuilding, and a music garden with an outdoor set of instruments. Outdoor concerts are regularly held in the park in the summer.
The original layout of the rooms was two-bay, with a corridor in the middle and a hallway on the axis. The current division of the interior has changed. A unique remnant of the Garbolewskis’ times is a classicist fireplace from the first half of the 19th century, made of sandstone, framed by pairs of Ionic columns. Its fragments can be seen in the room to the right of the hall. In addition to it, inside you can see a 19th-century tiled stove and fragments of a profiled cornice surrounding parts of some walls.